A peek inside an herbalist’s summer travel bag, and the items we don’t go anywhere without.
Urban Moonshine Digestive Bitters: We are never without these and keep a digestive bitter spray in our purse at all times—that way if you are eating out or traveling, you always have a remedy for an upset tummy, gas and bloating or occasional indigestion. The Original Digestive Bitters and Healthy Liver Bitters have been our favorites this summer. Take ¼ tsp up to 6 times a day.
Joy Tonic: for a quick simple mood adjust, or in the moment, occasional anxiety support. The fast-acting use of the aromatic & nervine herbs like motherwort, rose and lemon balm work quickly to calm the nervous system, ground the soul, soothe tension and ease worry. Enjoy 1 teaspoon (5mL) 1-3 times a day.
- Energy Tonic: An energizing apoptogenic formula that supports adrenal health, and boosts stamina and endurance. Through the use of adaptogens, it’s fast acting, but without the effects of caffeine. Energy Tonic restores mental alertness and pushes back against fatigue. Take 1/2 teaspoon (2.5mL) 2-3 times a day, straight or in a bit of water.
- Traditional Medicinals Tea: You can find hot water in most places; airplanes, coffee shops, restaurants, rest stops, so herbal tea couldn’t be easier or more comforting when it comes to maintaining balance while away from home. While we are constantly replenishing our stash, recent favorites have been: Lemongrass Green Tea, Peppermint, and Ginger.
- Hydrosols: I always have these with me during the hot summer months, and especially while traveling. Our skin can get quite dehydrated when we spend a lot of time outdoors and in the sun, so these make the perfect solution for quick on-the-go replenishment. 100% fresh plant hydrosol, these can be used liberally all day long to tone, hydrate, and refresh. I particularly love Evan Healy's Lemon Thyme as it is soothing and refreshing to summer skin.
- Sunscreen: A major skin health priority for anyone who loves to be outside as much as we do; hiking, biking, running, gardening, swimming, sunbathing and traveling, you name it—we need protection from the sun! I love this creamy & soothing plant-based balm by Evan Healy that’s formulated without any toxins or preservatives and comes in this handy purse size stick so I am never without!
- Hand sanitizer: Dr. Bronner’s or any natural plant-based or made with essential oils are my favorite for travel, made without the nasty chemicals you find in conventional sanitizers, but just as effective. It’s perfect for anything on the go; sticky hands, and faces, or even as deodorant in a pinch.
- Lip / Cheek tint: great for travel when you need a pop of color when going out to dinner. I love Tata Harper's because it's non-toxic and plant-based.
- Aromatherapy roller: we always carry an essential oil blend for a quick mood lift. Essential oils provide a pleasant aromatic experience and are the perfect remedy for any stressors that show up while traveling. We love the selections from Lotus Weiand Lunaroma.
- Small Notebook: travel offers the perfect excuse to unplug and put away my phone, so having a notepad helps for musings, list making or a thoughtful note.
A few essential that don’t fit in this small pouch, but we always have:
- Water bottle
- Travel mug (to reduce waste as much as possible)
- Turkish towel (use for the beach, or as a scarf etc.)
Urban Moonshine Hit the Hay formula- herbal sleep support on the go -you never know what travel offers for sleep hygiene, and herbs can help.
- And of course, a good book!
Be well & happy traveling!